Feb. 28 Where Can We Go From Here?

Dr. Robert Livingston

A key to ending racism: Make it personal
"Nothing’s going to change until we start talking, until we become socially connected with each other," said Robert Livingston, a Harvard Kennedy School lecturer in public policy.

*****  


My Mom 1998-ish

It's in memory of my Mother who brought as much Black into our home as possible; music, dance, comedy, sports, movies, TV, & political figures. I never heard any racist anything growing up. 

In terms of TV & radio, she ruled the house. She loved who she loved without labels. That's the point; integration without categorization; skin color, religion, gender, etc wasn't the focus. I'm still like this. As long as you're kind & your heart is in the right place. This is what matters. If she knew about the blog she would've said, "All right!".



For my daughter, captivated by soul, gospel, the blues, jazz, & R&B vocalists since she could walk. She grew up taking a stand on equitable and social issues.

And for my son who aspires to teach history "truthfully" the right way not the White way. He lost a Black friend in middle school who had undiagnosed heart disease. My son was never the same after that; the loss was too much for him.

For all the Black people I have met; I commend all of you, for what you've experienced or might still be experiencing; our society needs so much repair & healing.

This blog is my attempt to make things right in your community .... our community. I'm one person but I need to be proactive and inspire others to push for change!

To those we have lost, due to racism and the evil that lurks with those that have badges, this page is for you too, in your memory.

~

1. Think before you talk. My aunt complained about the crime being committed by mostly Blacks. But if you live in a predominantly Black area, then who'd you expect? Crime in Oregon & Idaho ... mostly Whites. It's common sense. Research before you speak, especially on social media. Don't be a person who taints or poisons others' mind with biased based information.

Example: Food stamp recipients USA

37% Concasians

26% Blacks

16% Hispanics

3% Asians

2% Native American

But most people complain that it's Blacks & Mexicans sucking up the system.

2. As a people, as a nation we have a responsibility to stand up for other people. I don't care how you were raised, you can always start your day over as well as making alterations to your belief system. If you hear discrimation or see it, don't join in, don't engage, walk away or nicely say something. Be part of the solution not the problem.

3. If you are a substitute teacher or instructor ask to see the curriculum. There is no way I'd work for a school system with a White agenda. In fact, grow a pair & challenge your school district on whose books they're using, what publishers, what info is being taught, what's being left out? etc, etc Ideally, we want a curriculum that doesn't categorize, group, or keep people separate. 

4. Get woke!! Google is your friend. Start researching school curriculum deficits. Sending your kids to adulthood being culturally sensitive should be on every parents' to do list.

Ideas: Celebrate a different culture every month. Take advantage of museums, restaurants, & cultural towns like Korea town, China town, etc. Learn to appreciate different cultures, traditions, religions, & rejoice! Find recipes and take them out for a spin, music, too. Oh, and movies and books.

5. Research publishers. I already found articles on publishers being too White. You can also fill in the gaps with your kids, you owe it to them and out of respect for others. Thinking back on the greatest classes I've had, it just dawned on me, is when the instructor used books not on the college's list, but from a variety list of their own.

6. Fighting racism, ask yourself ... If not me then who? 

Isaiah 6:8 NIV - 

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

2.9.23

I found that there are publishers who prefer only to publish White authors. I'll list them along with publishers who publish on merit, and not on race or ethnicity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 28, 2023 Sarah Rector

Feb. 26 California African American Museum

March 20, 2023 Black Cyclists